Sunday, January 10, 2010

Dark Rye Caraway Bread

I had a silly dream about buying some rye flour. So, the next day while in the health food store I purchased some dark, rye flour for only .99/lb. I made up the dough yesterday and let it rise and build flavor overnight. It was delicious. My husband described it as "stout" and shared that it reminded him of bread he at in Germany while stationed there in the service.



To add to the fun, I made it in the pot that is in my small crock pot. It was a very sticky dough and I didn't want to chance it going flat.


Here is the dark, rye flour. Not really dark looking. I added white bread flour, course black pepper, lots and lots of caraway seeds, dill and kosher salt. It was delicious! We had roast beef and horseradish - oh, I have to mention the red onion on it too.